Click and scroll to view topics regarding Realtime Payment Manager (RPM):
- Browser Basics
- User Level Definitions
- Logging In
- Changing Your Password
- AVS Responses
- Bank Processor Cut-Off (Batch Close)
Each merchant receives access to RPM, our back-office web product that audits transactions conducted through our gateway services. Upon registration you may establish multiple staff to have access to your E-xact transaction records, including Activity and Deposit Reports, the Search engine for every transaction processed, and virtual Point Of Sale (POS).
Internet Browser Requirements
RPM is viewed through your web browser - Firefox or Internet Explorer.
- Cookies must be enabled
- 128 bit SSL settings
- Browser Version: Firefox 126.96.36.199 and higher and Internet Explorer 7.0
User logins and passwords are provided by E-xact Transactions and administered to your business’ Account Administrator.
To access RPM go to our website at https://pos.e-xact.com Each user receives an individual User Login and Password.
User Level Definitions and Roles
Users can have different access levels. Currently available are:
- Read Only: Access to all screens except POS. Also no transactional functions in Transactions.
- POS: Access to POS and Transactions only.
- Merchant: Access to all screens. Can use POS and transactional functions through Transactions.
- Merchant Administrator: Has access to change account address, view bank terminal information, edit E-xact Production Gateway Password, and can add and edit other Users in your account.
POS and Merchant users can be restricted to perform any combination of transaction types by selecting various checkboxes. For example, Purchases only, Purchases and Pre-authorizations, Refunds only, etc. Merchant users can be set to perform standard transactions (Purchase, Refund, Pre-authorization, and Pre-authorization completion) or include the Forced Post transaction type.
Individuals can also receive different email reports. These are:
- Alert – sends notification of possible scheduled or unscheduled interruptions in service, etc.
- Daily – daily deposit report (of total deposits on record through E-xact). This selection automatically includes the monthly deposit report.
- Monthly – monthly deposit report and Alert notifications
Options also include a combination of reports, i.e. Alert/Daily and Alert/Monthly.
Making Changes to Users
Addition of users and access restrictions are handled by the Merchant Administrator for the account.
Viewing Transactional Information in RPM
1) Go to https://pos.e-xact.com
2) Enter your User Login and Password.
3) Press Login.
4) If this is your first login you will be prompted to change your password. See next page on changing your password.
5) Once logged on you will be at the RPM Homepage.
Changing your Password
On first login, or every 90 days, you will be prompted to change your password.
Enter a new alphanumeric password (must contain at least one number) two times in the fields indicated. Be sure to enter the current password (to be changed) just under the User Name.
If you incorrectly enter any of the information you will see prompts in red text as to your error
Troubleshooting User Logins
Entering Password Incorrectly
If you enter your password incorrectly more than 3 times you will be automatically locked-out for 24 hours. You will not be able to login that day unless your User ID is reset. If this happens, please contact your Merchant Administrator
Entering Username incorrectly
In the event you enter the username incorrectly, you will be informed in red text that you have used an invalid User ID (even if the password is correct).
You will be automatically logged out after 20 minutes of inactivity and will need to log in again. Logouts can also occur if there has been a disruption of Internet connectivity.
Select Merchant Account
You will first need to select the Merchant Account you wish to conduct a transaction on.
Select Terminal (if required)
The account has been selected based on the choice made on the preceding page so you will now need to select the appropriate virtual terminal. If there is only one terminal, it is automatically selected for you.
Enter Transaction Information
Next select the Transaction Type. You can conduct Pre-Authorization, Pre-Authorization Completion, Purchase, and Forced Post transactions within POS. Select users can also be authorized to do open refunds.
Enter the cardholder information and dollar amount. The following characters will be stripped from the cardholder name field: ; ` " / % as well as -- (2 consecutive dashes).
Next enter the authorization information (if required).
Authorization Number is an alternative option to using 'Transactions' to do a Pre-Authorization Completion. You can only conduct a refund through POS if you have a pre-set refund level; otherwise refunds can be conducted more easily through Transactions.
Next enter any reference information (if required). The following characters will be stripped from the reference fields: ; ` " / % as well as -- (2 consecutive dashes).
Reference Number: this is provided by your internal referencing system and will display on the CTR and in Member Services SEARCH.
Customer Reference Number is another internal reference (but not displayed on the CTR or in Member Services SEARCH).
Address Verification String is used for the AVS system This checks cardholder addresses against records at the credit card companies and rates the level of match (see Appendix).
To enter the Address Verification String correctly, follow these rules:
Street Address enter:
For example: 1391ELMSTREET40404
Street Address with Suite or Apartment Number enter: space
For example: 1391ELMSTREET605 40404
PO Box Addresses enter: space
For example: P.O.BOX2456 404045555
Some additional rules apply:
Separate numerals always require a space between them.
You cannot enter more than 29 characters. If exceeded, drop the street address information
and make sure zip code is complete. For nine digit zip codes drop the dash.
Submit the Transaction
When all information is entered on the POS click “Send Transaction”. When the transaction has been authorized you will receive a CTR response.
Steps for using Transactions
1) Within Transactions first select the account.
2) Enter your search parameters. The most popular is date range. Keep in mind that the larger the date range, the slower the search returns.
3) Use 'Advanced Search' for additional search options. The more parameters entered, the longer it will take to search the database. Other search fields are: dollar amount, transaction and card type, cardholder details, and reference number.
4) To begin the search, click the “Search” button.
Search result(s) will be returned. You will see the transaction record returned with specific information on the transaction.
To change the order and number of columns returned select the 'Preferences' (beside 'Advanced Search').
From within the search results you can get further transaction details or conduct Pre-Authorization Completions and Refund transactions.
The 'Download CSV' link creates a complete .CSV file of the Search Results page(s) in a pop-up window. Alternatively, select the 'Print' link to print out a copy of the screen.
Click on a transaction line item to expand its details.
The detail record gives information that would appear on the CTR along with additional information regarding the transaction.
If a Customer Reference # is used it will show up here. The Bank Response Message also appears here and can be looked up by clicking on the yellow question mark “Help” icon.
Clicking the “Print Receipt” button will generate a pop-up window with only the CTR information displayed for easy printing while "Print Details" will provide all details.
Email the receipt by selecting the "Email Receipt" link and filling in the recipient's address. Note that the email will be sent from the email address indicated in the Address details of your account.
By selecting the 'clock' icon next to the transaction you can view its audit history.
For example, viewing the history of a refunded transaction will generate a list report of the original purchase as well as the refund details.
Next to each transaction there may be a transaction icon. Each of these icons indicates an action that can be taken, or if an action has occurred. Here is a brief rundown.
Example of Refunding from Transactions
1) Click the “R” next to the transaction record.
2) A box will expand out with the amount to be refunded pre-populated in the Amount box.
3) Enter any necessary reference data.
4) Click on the “Submit Refund” button.
5) A CTR receipt will appear if the refund has been approved. A separate transaction record for the refund will now be listed if you search the card again. Also the “R” that was next to the purchase item will now be a 'clock' icon if you refunded the total amount.
If you wish to make a partial refund go through steps 1-4, but adjust the dollar amount. A partial refund will refund only the specified amount to that purchase. The “R” will remain next to the purchase or pre-authorization completion items until the full amount is reimbursed. If you click on the “R” again, you can do a second refund for up to the remaining amount.
Void a transaction
Note that voids can only be performed the same day as the original transaction and prior to the batch closing. If you are unsure of the batch closing times for your processor please contact E-xact.
1) Click the “V” next to the transaction record.
2) A box will expand out with the amount to be voided pre-populated in the Amount box.
3) Enter any necessary reference data.
4) Click on the “Void Transaction” button.
5) A CTR receipt will appear if the void has been approved. A separate transaction record for the void will now be listed if you search the card again. Also the “V” that was next to the purchase item will now be a 'clock' icon if you voided the total amount.
How to Send a Pre-Authorization Completion from Transactions
1) Go to Transactions
2) Search for the Pre-Authorization to be completed
3) Check the icon to the left of the transaction record. If a “C” appears, this indicates the pre-authorization has not been fully completed. The date the pre-authorization was sent, along with other details, is listed on the item line or can be seen by clicking on the transaction.
Submitting a Pre-Authorization Completion
1) Click the “C” next to the transaction record. Please note only Pre-Authorization transactions will have a “C” icon next to them.
2) A box will expand out with the amount to be completed pre-populated in the Amount box.
At this point you can simply click on the “Complete Transaction” button to send the completion. Or, you can enter a lesser dollar amount, fill in a reference number, and then click the button.
A CTR will be returned within a few seconds displaying the results of your submission. If the transaction is approved, the CTR will list it at the top and bottom of the screen. If declined, it will display “Transaction Not Approved”/Declined.
Once a pre-authorization has been completed, the “C” icon will disappear to within Transactions, indicating a “Completed Transaction”.
Search results will also show a separate transaction listing for the “Tagged Completion”.
Editing the Reference Number and Customer Reference fields
In some scenarios it can be useful to edit the reference number and customer reference associated with a transaction. An example case would be adding in a waybill number once availability of a purchased item has been confirmed. To do this, click the "Pencil" icon for a particular transaction when viewing the transaction list in order to edit this information. You may also perform the same action by clicking the "Ref Update" link when viewing an individual transaction. Note that this feature is only available for approved pre-authorized transactions that have not been completed.
Activity is the report which displays all transactions conducted through E-xact’s system (including declines). The Deposit reports show all authorized transactions conducted through E-xact’s system categorized by card type or terminal depending on the report. The Declined transaction report shows all transactions that failed due to a decline by the cardholder's bank. With the exception of 'Deposits - Pending Batches' All reports display information from the previous day by default. This report pertains to transactions from the current day, prior to batch closing.
Reporting Date Option
The Reporting Date option is for you to be able to adjust the date range for viewing any report. E-xact automatically displays the report of the previous day with cut-off times dependent on each account’s specifications (ex. 12am to 12am). To adjust the reporting date, simply select different dates on the calendars.
When you click on Activity the screen will display a summary based on reporting date and range.
The links at the right of the screen can be used to switch between different types of reports.
Activity represents all transactions, failed and approved. Therefore the total dollar amount is NOT necessarily the amount that will be settled, as declined transaction dollar amounts are included.
Clicking on a merchant account or terminal link will display the list of transactions.
Depending on the length of the list, there are links to the first and last pages of the report as well as the previous or next group of transactions.
As with Transactions, you can conduct transactions and view the transaction details or audit history from the list report by clicking on the appropriate icons.
Download the Activity File by clicking on the “Download CSV” link. This generates a .CSV file that can be downloaded to your desktop or viewed in a separate browser.
Depending on your browser settings you will either be prompted to Save the file to a location or Open it directly. Or if neither is prompted, you can right click on the link for the option to Save As... to your desktop.
Alternatively, send the report by email by clicking "Email Report" or print the current screen with the "Print" link.
The deposit reports are separate from what your bank will report for settlement as they are generated by E-xact’s system, not the bank processors.
If E-xact’s Deposit totals do not synchronize with the totals that appear on your bank statements for that day, possible reasons are:
- E-xact’s default deposit report is from the previous day’s deposit records from midnight to
midnight (or a set period based on the terminal). The E-xact deposit reports do not reflect actual settlement time, which is usually 24-48 hours after the initial processed transaction.
- The bank processor being used for your accounts may “close” your daily settlement at a different time from what we display (you can have this adjusted to match up with your processor – contact Customer Support details).
- American Express and other Private Label cards can take longer in settling funds to your account, depending on their merchant terms.
- Refunds take longer to accrue to the cardholder, and therefore withdrawals from the merchant’s account can be delayed.
The summary report will be the first screen displayed when this report is selected and will allow you to view deposits categorized by terminal.
Similar to the Activity Report, there are links in the Deposit list reports to conduct transactions, details and audit history, the “Download CSV," "Email Report," and "Print" options.
To end your session with E-xact’s RPM, click on "Sign out" in the upper right corner. We recommend you log out each time you leave your computer unattended or have finished using it, for security purposes. Otherwise, the default time for automatic logout due to inactivity is 20 minutes.
TSYS Batch Numbers
Transactions successfully settled through the TSYS Processing Network (used for US-Based merchant accounts) are returned with a corresponding Batch Number and a Settlement Time. The Batch Number can be used to reconcile funds transferred into your deposit account by your merchant bank. It can also be used to search for errant transactions by the bank-processing network.
Click to get more information on AVS and the AVS Response Codes in this Knowledge Base.
Bank Processor Cut-Off (Batch Close)
These times are subject to change, but are generally accurate.
Moneris (Royal Bank):
Canadian Dollar accounts: 11PM PST
US Dollar accounts: 6PM PST
CT Payments (formerly Telus, Emergis):
2 AM EST (often varies between 1am – 3am EST)
2 AM EST